Tuesday 30 April 2013

When life imitates art


Who:  Micky Flanagan
Where: Colston Hall, Bristol
When:  Thursday 25th April 2013


Whilst buying a glass of pre-show wine the barman asked me “so is Micky Flanagan your favourite comedian?”  A difficult question to answer.  I’d been asked by a friend at work if I’d wanted a ticket when she was booking them last year, and never wanting to miss out on a spot of fun, I agreed.  But I don’t even think I knew what he looked like.  And I definitely hadn’t seen any of his work.  (Is that what you call somebody’s comedy performance, their ‘work’?)  But back to the original point, the answer was no, he wasn’t my favourite comedian.  Not yet.


His comic style is more social commentary than stand up.  Drawing humour from real experiences, and for the most part, his relationship with his wife. He discusses the time his better half asks him to take a packet of Kettle Chips away from her to “save her from herself”, and I think, this is actually me!  Or when he mentions the boring sod in the group at a gig asking what time it’ll finish, I realise, that’s my friend Chloe!

Another of his anecdotes revolves around his wife planning a cosy Saturday night in, when he, after a few drinks with friends, was to bring round a takeaway and a bottle of wine for seven o'clock.  It ends up with him delaying and delaying, her getting angry because she’s already warmed up the plates, and them having a big row on the phone whilst he is STILL in the pub.  It’s very funny, relatable, and has the audience in stitches.

What isn’t as funny though is when comedy turns into reality.  The gig is on Thursday night.  Fast forward to Saturday night and I’m expecting my boyfriend round for dinner for seven o'clock.  He rings at around 7.30 to say he’s been waylaid with the football lads, but he’s on his way home now, he just needs to get changed and he’ll drive over.  A little while later I get a text to say he’s realised he’s already had four pints so he can’t drive.  He’ll see if he can get the train.  No, misses the train, so he has to walk.  On that bombshell I stop cooking, make a cup of tea, step out of my nice dress and into my pyjamas to watch The Mindy Project in bed.  I might as well do something useful, I missed last week’s episode.  He texts me to say he’s sorry, and I reply with “you better have chocolate with you”.  No kiss.  The story doesn’t end too badly though, he didn’t turn up until quarter to nine, but he did bring Gu chocolate orange puddings, a big bar of Dairy Milk, and a bottle of rose.

Micky Flanagan, I salute you.  Not only are you funny, frank, witty, and full of East End charm, apparently you can see into the future too!

No comments:

Post a Comment